History of Lister Park

The Manningham area was described in a survey of 1311 as a village attached to the township of Bradford. Land in the area was owned by the Lister family in the C15 who acquired it through marriage to the King family. It remained in family ownership and Ellis Cunliffe Lister settled on the site in 1819. The Listers were prominent industrialists who opened the first of their textile mills in the area in 1838.

Samuel Cunliffe Lister inherited in 1853 and he sold the site to Bradford Corporation in 1870 for less than its market value on condition that the land was used to make a public park. Work started in the following year but the basic elements of the layout were not completed until after the erection of the Cartwright Hall in 1904. The site continued as a public park in which use it remained apart from an interval during the Second World War when it was turned to agricultural use. It remains in the ownership of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council.

For a more Historical background to Lister Park see below

Historical Background of Lister_Park.pdf
File Size: 3088 kb
File Type: pdf
Download File